Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year...

First things, first...


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
{as you can see we all look sleepy...even Bailey. this was after midnight.}

I'm looking forward to 2011 and everything that it brings. Chad and I are so blessed to have a wonderful house, jobs, family, friends, and of course Bailey {the dog}. I'm looking forward to what 2011 has in store!

Being that it is now 2011, I realize that I have precisely 5 months to get in shape and lose some weight for a wedding that I'm in, in June. Not only that, but Chad and I have been planning to go back to the Y ever since, um, last summer....yikes. So we'll be trudging to the Y with all of the other people who made resolutions to workout more or lose weight. We're also planning on trying to eat better, so if you have any yummy recipes you'd like to share...please do! {and I promise to share anything that we find along the way, too!}

After I write this post I plan on making my workout playlist for my IPOD, so also...please share any songs/music that gives you motivation to workout...I'd love to add it to my list! :)
As we think about the new year and new starts, new opportunities there are a few things I'd like to share. 

1. I'm considering trying to create/make items to sell on Etsy. I'm not super crafty, but at the same time, I love to "try" to be crafty and can sometimes surprise myself with what I can create. :)

2. Blog more...yes...more than my two a month. {ouch!}

3. Learn more about my camera and take more pictures!!! I received Adobe Lightroom 3 for Christmas and I want to do a lot more picture taking/editing. :)

4. I want to GIVE BACK. Whether it's with charities or volunteering...I want to help others. If this is something you'd like to do more of too, I have a great opportunity for you....
My MIL is a RNFA {registered nurse first assist} for a plastic surgeon in Louisville, KY. For the past few years she has had the opportunity to travel to the Philippines with the doctor she works for to assist with cleft lip/pallet surgeries for young children. They are going again this year in February!!! As she and I were talking the other day about how it's such an amazing opportunity and how rewarding it is...I had an idea. "Wouldn't it be great if you could give a book to each of the kids that you do a surgery for?" {they do about 50 surgeries while they're there}And her response was, "Oh my gosh! They would LOVE that!" I know a book isn't much, but it's something that they can have, for their own, and to {maybe} help distract from the surgery/pain. Originally I thought one book per child, but really...why couldn't it be more like two or three? I've talked to a few teacher friends of mine that are willing to go through their books donate to this cause. I wish I had my own classroom, because this would be such a great service project to teach the kids about giving to those to are less fortunate. {sigh, I miss having my own class} So, my question to you is....

Would you be willing to donate new/slightly used books to send to kids who have the cleft lip/pallet surgeries? I'm looking for {preferably} paper back due to the weight limit and room in their luggage.

{You  may ask WHY BOOKS? For one reason, they are smaller and don't take up too much room/weight. I wish we could send so much more, but we are limited on what to send.}

If you can't give, maybe you know someone who would/could? If not, then please pray that those who perform the surgeries are able to do as many as possible while they are down there. Also, all of the supplies that they use while in the Philippines are acquired by donations. My MIL was telling me that they don't have all of the supplies yet and they are leaving in about a month, so please pray that they are able to secure all of the things they need to do the surgeries. Pray for their safe travel and for their safety while in the Philippines. 

If you would like more info on the project here is the website, Operation H.O.P.E.

I sincerely hope that everyone had a wonderful New Years Eve and that 2011 brings you many blessings and love! {Thanks for listening to my ramblings. :) }



P.S. Please email me if you have any questions about or would like to help out with donating books for the children in the Philippians at amschotter@gmail.com. I'll be collecting the books and then sending them on to my MIL so she can take them with her in February! :) :) :) Thanks so much...you guys rock!!!



4 comments:

  1. hello love! how are you not on my blogroll? I think when i did the new domain it didn't transfer! I am going to go put you on there now so I can keep up with you:)
    gina
    ps-i love your book idea! Are you asking people to send them to you? How do we get books to you?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your puppy is SOOOOOO cute!!
    Happy New Year friend!!!
    LOVE your goals! Can't wait to see you on Etsy!! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey sweetie~!! i totally know what you mean about needing to lose weight for weddings~!! i have one in april and one in june that i'm in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Mandy! I love all your goals for the new year!! I am sure you will do great with all of them! And good luck with the future store :)

    ReplyDelete

i love your reading your lovely words. thanks so much for taking the time to leave me some love!

 
Design by Deluxe Designs